Garibaldi in La Spezia, a long story
Giuseppe Garibaldi walked many times the streets of La Spezia, three stops on the city ground are reported: first time in 1849, the second one (to the Varignano base) was in 1862 after he got injured in Aspromonte, and the third one in 1867 after the battle of Mentana. The town’s will to commemorate the General with a monument started since 1882, but it only took shape June 1, 1913, when it was inaugurated the equestrian statue by Antonio Garella placed in the public gardens.
The monument and the sculptor Antonio Garella
Recently restored, the monument is made of bronze and weighs 60 tons. It is one of the few equestrian statues in the world with a prancing horse, standing only on its hind legs. The placement of the statue, at the time of its construction, was a reason for some controversy. So much so that the statue, completed in 1911, was inaugurated only two years later. The choice finally fell on the public gardens where some orange trees where cut to give space to the statue.
Antonio Garella is a sculptor from Ferrara, where he was born in 1863.